Over the past few years, actions cameras are becoming better on quality and affordability. AKASO, the company manufacturing AKASO V50 has over the years, redefined how action cameras should have in terms of quality but still remain affordable. This camera is an advancement of AKASO EK7000 where the AKASO Company improved on certain essential elements to give AKASO V50 competitive features among the most exceptional action cameras in the market.
Camera design and lens
Just like all action cameras, the AKASO V50 is light and consequently makes it suitable for mounting on different surfaces. This compatibility of universal mountings is significant for better recording without adding unnecessary weight. It also has a display of 320*240, which gives the user a chance to review images and footages instantly. Previously, action camera did not have LCDs and this gave the user less control over results.
The lens of this action camera is a wide-angle of 170 degrees. This lens means therefore that the user can include many components in their composition considering the nature of recording an action. This wide-angle lens, however, is adjustable depending on the user preference to 140 degrees, 110 degrees, or ever more tight-cropped 70 degrees angle.
Features of AKASO V50
Key features and image quality
Native 4K/30fps compatibility guarantees that the action camera records ultra-high definition footage, which is exceeding high compared to HD. Although the AKASO V50 has various options to choose from regarding quality, the 4K compatibility remains the best any camera can offer regarding quality. Other quality options include the capability to shoot on 2.7K 30fps and the HD 1080P 60fps which in most cases saves space but many compromises on quality.
For better and smooth footages, the camera has an integrated EIS (Electronic Image Stabilizer) which is a relatively new technology. The EIS ensures that the 4K footages are not just ultra-high quality but are also stable because it is on 30 frames per second mode.
The AKASO V50 has a 20 MP Panasonic powered sensor. The big megapixels means that images captured with this action camera are big enough for print.
For faster sharing of images and videos, the AKASO V50 has both the HDMI port and WIFI capabilities. The HDMI port can share the footage at a faster rate to a PC. Alternatively, paring the camera with a phone or a tablet using free iSmart DV app is possible and has a quicker WIFI speed of 2.4Ghz. The application is available for download from Android Play Store or iOS App Store.
AKASO Company designed the camera to record a high-quality time lapse. Time lapses capabilities are crucial in action cameras because they provide alternative recording option, which is quality but saves the space at the same time. Recording using this action camera has diverse options ranging from movie option, which can further be set to record it in slow or in fast motion, to time-lapse and still images. All these recording options enable the user to determine which recording option is most suitable depending on activity recorded.
The camera is waterproof up to 100 ft. Underwater. With this camera, therefore, one can comfortably record any underwater activities without worrying about the wellbeing of the camera thanks to it a waterproof case that also doubles as a shock absorber. It is appropriate in all kind of sporting activities on water or in water.
Battery capacity has been a challenge to many action camera over the years. 1050mAh batteries however power AKASO V50 sufficiently. The camera comes together with two batteries, which ensures a long recording time without cutting short the recording to charge the battery.
What is included in the box?
This camera comes with most of its essentials. They include a camera body, AKASO V50, the initial purchase, the camera casing for waterproof activities and underwater recording, and two batteries of 1050mAh power for longer records. The camera bundle also includes a battery charger for recharging the two batteries, a cloth for wiping off the wide-angle lens and a USB cable for secure HDMI transfer of footage. For better recording and smooth footage, the camera comes with different mounts for different surfaces such as helmet mounts, bicycle mounts, and one clip. Bandage and five tithers are also included. The bundle has a manual for optimal operation of the camera. Anyway, even if you lost the manual or would like to read it on an e-book you can always download the maual for V50 from the AKASO official website.
Pros and Cons of AKASO V50
- The camera’s capability to record a 4K footage on a 30 fps is the major pro for this camera. It produces not only high quality still and moving images but also crispy bright and clean images too. Traditionally, to create such good results required a more significant camera to host its big sensor and therefore the idea of an action camera giving such results is phenomenal.
- The camera is easy to use. Most cameras have a sophisticated user interface. This is not the case with this AKASO V50 camera. The camera does most of the things automatically such as white balance correction, and this simplifies the user interface. This is important considering the camera design is for the action-packed environment and therefore the need of a simple to use a camera. In case of any doubt on the use, camera user manual comes with the camera bundle.
- The inclusion of two batteries in the AKASO V50 is a plus for an action camera. Having a camera that gives a more extended recording period saves the user from consistent recharging which in the long run affects the quality of the footage recorded and missing parts in a recording.
- Although the camera is competitive in the actions camera market, it has some minor issues with the inbuilt microphone. The sound quality does not match the native 4K/30fp provided by this camera. The sound issue is the primary con of this AKASO produced camera.
- The camera bundle also does not include a memory card. Even though the camera has an expandable memory card slot, one has to buy the memory card separately. For a newbie in the action cameras world, the choice of a memory card might be a challenge.
Considering the quality of the images produced by this AKASO V50 camera and its price, it can be termed as an excellent deal. This quality factor is in comparison to the other mainstream action camera that is very expensive but does not offer what AKASO V50 offers. The issue of sound quality is a subjective issue in the action cameras as most camera pundits argue that sound in most cases is not a priority in this genre. Objectively, the AKASO V50 camera gives value for money.